Re: [LUG] Switching to Debian

On Sun, Feb 04, 2007 at 03:00:25PM +0000, Ben Goodger wrote:
> Does anyone have some repositories to recommend, or similar? I note that
> deb's free/contrib/non-free complement comprises of about 3k packages less
> than Ubuntu's, so presumably those are either migration packages for the
> latest useless kernel rename or packages that are missing in Debian.

I can't see much reason to use anything but the official mirrors.
debian-multimedia.org has things like mythtv in, and mplayer (but
mplayer's in Debian now anyway). And if you want
XGL/AIGLX/compiz/beryl/whatever-the-latest-silly-fad-is then you'll have
to find something for that. Otherwise, it's best to stick with the
official repositories unless you need to.

Most unofficial repositories are developers' personal testing packages;
a few months back there was uproar about one of these being used when it
shouldn't have been and installing broken packages on the computers of
people too stupid to check what they were installing.

        bma