Re: [LUG] Problems with my digital camera

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have started my research, only the chap who built my machine is away
> until Tuesday.
>
> Meanwhile I have been looking at my USB ports info using kinfocenter. I
> find that I have one marked EHCI with a speed of 480 Mbits/s. The other
> three are marked OHCI with a speed of 12 Mbits/s. When I asked at the
> shop I was told that all my USB ports should be set up as USB2, so they
> should all be the same.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions about this please?
>
> TIA
> Neil Winchurst

Do you know the make/model of the motherboard?  If so it would be
possible to check the actual specification online.  In the meantime I
would trust what kinfocenter is telling actually is in the box as
opposed to what the shop says is *supposed* to be in the box.

Another option would be to get a known USB device that can be plugged in
while the machine is powered up.  In Windows (I assume Linux does the
same) if you plug a USB 1.1 device into a USB2 socket or vice versa, you
get a warning popup.  You will either get 'USB 1.1 device detected in
USB2 socket' or 'This device can work faster' if you plug a USB2 device
into a USB 1.1 socket'.  Assuming KDE gives you a warning as well, you
could just try a known device in all four ports in turn and find out if
you get any warnings.  My hunch would be that you have 1 USB2 and 3
USB1.1 ports as kinfocenter says.

Kind regards,

Julian