Re: [LUG] Kubuntu tryout

Neil Winchurst wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:21:44 +0100
> Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> Thanks for that, I am already feeling more confident. I will indeed
> wait until 26th for the new official release as you suggest. It is only
> for three days and anyway it will be my wedding anniversary. A good
> omen perhaps!!
>  fr
> Since I plan to download to a DVD and not a CD I have been looking at
> the relevant site. I notice that there are four types of file,
> .iso, .iso.torrent, .list and .manifest. Can anyone explain the
> differences please? I don't want to spend time downloading the wrong
> file.

As far as I know the only difference between the CD and DVD versions is
that the DVD includes the text-based installation files and the server
install as well as the Desktop CD.

TBH, it might be a good idea to use the Desktop CD (700Mb download from
http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/releases.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/6.06.1/kubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386.iso)

so it should only take between an hour or two (on a 2MBit connection)
compared to about 3.7GB for the DVD (which would take more like 4 to 6
hours on a 2MBit connection).

I'm now running Ubuntu 6.10 Beta and I haven't had any problems with
it.  I'm guessing Kubuntu will be the same.

Rob