Re: [LUG] Servers and Proximity Virus

Richard Brown wrote:
 this is a file server have you considered a data backup plan?

> It is only running 8 windows clients and we were thinking of running
> the file server as:
> 80 gig software
> 250 gig x 2 in raid array
> and backing up to a separate server similar as above.
>
> Is that enough please?

Sounds fine, anything >= to my 1.1 GHz duron would be fine for this so
don't break the bank. Whats more important is reliability so try to get
something decent in quality of build etc rather than latest performance.

Samba is the server app you require for serving windows clients so get
over to samba.org and check out some docs and examples from there.

I would chuck debian stable on there (going to be etch soon) install
samba and off you go. Easy to add email server and other features as you
expand as well.

Might be worth installing clamav to scan the shared folders for viruses
as well.

I would also consider off site backups as well. I use DVD-R they are
cheap and the dar program. Even copying to removal hard disks is better
than nothing. If you have a fire both servers could be damaged! so you
must have off site backup.

--
Robin Cornelius
http://www.byteme.org.uk