Re: [LUG] Servers and Proximity Virus

Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Firstly, I think I have discovered the very first Linux virus. I have
> checked it out with one other member of the group and he has confirmed
> that my system has the virus! It is called the proximity virus and
> basically works like this. System unusable! Take to one Neil Stone, he
> touches system and it starts to work. Bring system home - system
> becomes unusable again! Don't get this virus or we will all have to
> move to Saltash!
>
> Secondly, servers! I spent a little bit of time with Neil and get some
> questions answered which then brings another four hundred that need
> answering! I have to build a server for someone with about 8 computers!
> I am looking at using either Pentium 4s or Amd 64s and possibly rack
> mounting them. However, I discovered to rack mount you need adequate
> cooling or stick them in 4u cases. Then I discovered Xeons and
> opterons! Is it necessary to buy server chips or can I run an 8 user
> network with p4s and amd 64s please? Rack mounted stuff simply saves
> space - is there any other benefits please?
>
> Finally, any books recommended for learning about file servers please?
>
> Thanks.

Take a look at www.contribs.org.  You might want to try SME Server 7
from there.  It is built from CentOS Linux 4 which itself is built from
the sources of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.

As mentioned elsewhere, a Duron or similar would do the job.  You might
even be worth looking at Dell and their small business server deals.

You can get 1U and 2U servers with adequate cooling.  IIRC a company I
worked for a couple of years back went to a company called
Rackservers.com for their servers which ran Redhat 9.

Rob