Re: [LUG] Kubuntu tryout

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:21:44 +0100
Mark Jose <kernowyon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> All the current Kubuntu versions (6.06 and 6.10) will allow you to run as a
> live CD. They have an install icon placed on the desktop which if clicked,
> will begin an install to the hard drive.
> Dual booting Linux is very easy - the Debian based systems all happily detect
> other distros and allow you to choose which to boot.My main system has a
> multi boot setup, with several distros I can choose from - but I tend to only
> boot Kubuntu these days.
> Bearing in mind that Kubuntu 6.10 will be officially released on the 26th I
> think, it may be better to wait for that. I have been running the beta
> version in a VM for weeks with no problems, so it should be good!
> The basic disk for 6.06 and 6.10 is a CD around 650mb. There are 64 bit
> versions, although I have not tried those, despite having a 64 bit system -
> purely down to having been put off by the earlier 64 bit versions of Linux
> having poor support for gaming, which is something I like to do from time to
> time ;)

Thanks for that, I am already feeling more confident. I will indeed
wait until 26th for the new official release as you suggest. It is only
for three days and anyway it will be my wedding anniversary. A good
omen perhaps!!

Since I plan to download to a DVD and not a CD I have been looking at
the relevant site. I notice that there are four types of file,
.iso, .iso.torrent, .list and .manifest. Can anyone explain the
differences please? I don't want to spend time downloading the wrong
file.

> Prior to having Kubuntu 6.06 as my main system, I was using Mandriva. I still
> have my mandriva partition, but I have not used it for a long time.

I have used Mandrake/Mandriva for years but I think I need to look
further afield now. Plus, the reviews for the upcoming version 2007 have
not been very good at all. The main comment seems to be 'don't bother'.
However I have heard a lot of good things about (k)ubuntu, and I can
try it out first by running it from the DVD.

I will let everyone know how I get on.

Neil Winchurst