Re: [LUG] Kubuntu tryout

On Monday 23 October 2006 12:29, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have decided to give kubuntu a tryout, but not to overwrite my
> current Mandriva setup for the moment. I have never done anything like
> this before so I will probably need some advice.
>
> First off, do I send for a DVD with the progam on or do I download it
> for myself? I do have a writable DVD drive.
>
> My hard drive is an ATA Maxtor 6V160E0 SCSI. Although I have Mandriva
> running as 32 bit I believe my setup will also handle 64 bit. So which
> version of kkubuntu will be best? I would want one which I can run from
> the DVD drive to start with and then perhaps to install later.
>
> If I decide to install are there any traps to watch out for to avoid
> messing up my current setup? I have heard about dual booting, but only
> with Linux and Windows, never with two versions of Linux, though I
> suppose that is much the same thing.
>
> I am feeling both rather daring and very worried
>
> TIA
> Neil Winchurst

All the current Kubuntu versions (6.06 and 6.10) will allow you to run as a
live CD. They have an install icon placed on the desktop which if clicked,
will begin an install to the hard drive.
Dual booting Linux is very easy - the Debian based systems all happily detect
other distros and allow you to choose which to boot.My main system has a
multi boot setup, with several distros I can choose from - but I tend to only
boot Kubuntu these days.
Bearing in mind that Kubuntu 6.10 will be officially released on the 26th I
think, it may be better to wait for that. I have been running the beta
version in a VM for weeks with no problems, so it should be good!
The basic disk for 6.06 and 6.10 is a CD around 650mb. There are 64 bit
versions, although I have not tried those, despite having a 64 bit system -
purely down to having been put off by the earlier 64 bit versions of Linux
having poor support for gaming, which is something I like to do from time to
time ;)
Prior to having Kubuntu 6.06 as my main system, I was using Mandriva. I still
have my mandriva partition, but I have not used it for a long time.

Mark