Re: [LUG] re install problem

Quoting Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Simon Williams wrote:
DOH!
I should have realised. The running kernel needs sysfs support.
Apparently knoppix doesn't (perhaps your version is too old?).
I was using Knoppix 3.4
You're going to need a pretty new kernel with sysfs and udev support.
This had better work.
Agreed! :)
Simon
Wooohoo!!!

I downloaded Ubuntu 5.1 Live and tried that.  After a couple of false
starts working out how to do root type stuff on it, it worked!!!!

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 (had to make the point first - no
biggie :))
chroot /mnt/hda8
mount /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
udevstart
ls /dev/hda*

(YIPPEE howl at results)

/sbin/lilo

Complained about directories not matching a lot, but did it.  Rebooted.

I now have Windows XP Pro *AND* Xandros working on the laptop.  Even
the trackpad works in this version (it needed poking in 3.0.1).

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions and help, especially for
your patience (when I was losing mine!)  :)

Julian

Good to hear you've fixed it. I was going to suggest that if you live near anyone else from the LUG, maybe you could have popped over to see them for some help.

Rob

PS Knoppix' first name isn't Mary is it?  Spell checker tried to
change it to 'Poppins'.. LOL!

LOL

Maybe Knoppix is German for Poppins? :D

Rob