Re: [LUG] re install problem

Julian Hall wrote:

> I wonder... if I ghost Windows, blitz the entire HD and re-fdisk the
> whole lot, if that would help?  The Linux partitions were created after
> Windows was installed.... I wonder if *that* is the problem.

The problem just sounds like the lilo.conf file is wrong.

I don't think the warning;

Warning:  COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems

Is unusual with lilo these days.

A quick Google suggests that;

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")

Is due to not remounting "/dev" into the chroot environment, new one on
me, but then I assume this is probably a udev thing. Most of the
pointers refer to Xandros, so presumably either something they changed
first, a bug, or possibly they are the last people not defaulting to GRUB.

I'd say have a play with lilo, and chroot, till this error goes away,
possible lilo's "-r" option is worth trying, and it'll work again.

It was about the 6th time that I recovered a system with a LiveCD
because I hadn't run Lilo after a kernel upgrade, that I realised GRUB
has its redeeming qualities as a boot loader ;) Sometimes I'm very stuck
in my ways, but I gets there in the end.

-