Re: [LUG] re install problem

Rob Beard wrote:
Just a thought... if you haven't got much data on the laptop, could you not just reinstall XP and then install Xandros?
Hi Rob,

I've done it the same way every time, Windows first, then Linux and up to now it's worked perfectly. It took me a day (time which I no longer have with exams pressing close) to install Windows so I don't *really* want to have to repeat that sorry exercise.
How have you got your partitions laid out?
hda1 - Windows OS
hda5 - Windows (Programs)
hda6 - Windows (Games)
hda7 - Windows (My Docs)

The first four are from memory when I booted Knoppix I'm pretty sure that's how it labelled them.

hda8 is Xandros /
hda9 is Linux swap
hda10 is /home

The first 4 partitions are all Windows (FAT32). Reason for that is I never put all my eggs in one basket, so I have partitions for Windows (OS), Windows (programs), Windows (Games) and Windows (My docs) - which Linux can share being able to r/w to a FAT32 partition. Incidentally I have no idea why it's missing hda 2 3 and 4.. any clues? They got labelled that way from scratch.
If you can boot a live Linux CD you should be able (as root) to run fdisk -l /dev/hda (or fdisk -l /dev/sda if it's sata or scsi) to list what partitions are on your drive. (Thats a small letter L by the way, not a number 1)
Kind regards,

Julian

PS any luck with Eclipse?