Re: [LUG] re install problem

Julian Hall wrote:

Simon Williams wrote:
Ok, udev did not create any device nodes because it does need /sys.

Ah. I have just noticed that Arch does not have /proc or /sys in
fstab. It is done by the startup scripts. Maybe this is the same for
Xandros.
Try doing "mount -t sysfs none /sys"
as root:

mount -t ext2 /dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8
chroot /mnt/hda8
mount /proc
mount -t sysfs none /sys
mount: fs type sysfs not supported by kernel

It really seems to hate trying to mount sysfs :(  Is it possible that
it just dislikes me trying to use Knoppix to fix the problem?  Maybe
try another live distro?

DOH!
I should have realised. The running kernel needs sysfs support. Apparently knoppix doesn't (perhaps your version is too old?).
You're going to need a pretty new kernel with sysfs and udev support.
Every distro I've come across has its kernels bootable on the disk. Doesn't Xandros have this?

An alternative to this is to use the knoppix lilo to get Xandros booted.
Copy /mnt/hda8/etc/lilo.conf somewhere and prefix all the paths (except /dev ones) with /mnt/hda8. Then run "lilo -C [the new file]". Note the capital C. This assumes that knoppix has lilo installed.

This had better work.
Simon

-