Re: [LUG] re install problem

Julian Hall wrote:
Simon Waters wrote:
Warning:  COMPACT may conflict with LBA32 on some systems

Is unusual with lilo these days.
Fair enough :)  The other one was the one that irritated me :)
A quick Google suggests that;

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")

Is due to not remounting "/dev" into the chroot environment, new one on
me, but then I assume this is probably a udev thing. Most of the
pointers refer to Xandros, so presumably either something they changed
first, a bug, or possibly they are the last people not defaulting to GRUB.
Cheers Simon, my Googling didn't pick that one up.

I'm shelving it for now as it lost me three revision days this week that I couldn't afford to lose. After 23rd May (last exam) I'll come back to it.

Meh, wish I'd checked emails earlier.
If it is the udev problem then this will fix it...
Boot knoppix.
Chroot into xandros partition.
If it is the problem, "ls /dev/hda*" will not return anything. To fix
that, do:
mount /proc
mount /sys
udevstart
Then "ls /dev/hda*" should give some device nodes.
lilo will work (make sure that the config file is right).

Hope I'm right and it is that simple.

Of course, it is possible that the Xandros install messed up because of
some of your hardware, and therefore did not get round to installing a
kernel or something like that. "ls /boot" will tell you what the initrd
and image files are (may need to adjust lilo.conf).

Hope this is of some help
Simon

-