Re: [LUG] Netgear WG511T & Madwifi

On Fri, 2005-02-11 at 18:34 +0000, Julian Hall wrote:

Thanks Alex,

Partial success.  No errors now with modprobe

After you modprobe, check the end of the dmesg output that refers to the
module in question, as this can show module errors even if modprobe
succesfully loaded the module into the kernel.

 however the next commands
give errors:

ifconfig  ath0 up    gives    ath0: unknown interface: no such device
ifconfig ath0          gives    ath0: error fetching interface
information: Device not found

ifup ath0                gives     /sbin/ifup: configuration for ath0
not found

As Paul has said, I would expect this to be eth0 but your module
specifics may be different (I've seen wlan0 before).  In both of my
machines that now have wireless, that interface is eth1 as they both
have a wired interface that gets used.  (But they both use ipw2200).

Once the module is loaded try running iwconfig to see if any interfaces
support wireless extensions.