Re: [LUG] Netgear WG511T & Madwifi

You sure that should not be eth0 not ath0

Probably wrong but I use eth0 for an ethernet network device, (network card in english)

Paul

Julian Hall wrote:
Alex Charrett wrote:

You should put it in the directory that matches the version produced by a uname -r. Also before you're able to load the module you should do a depmod -a to get the system to check what modules are available to it.

Alex.

Thanks Alex,

Partial success. No errors now with modprobe, however the next commands give errors:

ifconfig ath0 up gives ath0: unknown interface: no such device
ifconfig ath0 gives ath0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

ifup ath0 gives /sbin/ifup: configuration for ath0 not found

Basically it looks like the module is loaded but it can't find the device it's supposed to be using. I've checked the kernel config and it has Wireless Extensions (although I don't know what version), sysctl, and I found a Crypto secion so I *think* it has Crypto API. Also they say they've checked it with 2.6.2 - 2.6.10 kernels so 2.6.8 (mine) ought to work.

Kind regards,

Julian

PAIGNTON RUGBY CLUB ARE LOOKING FOR SPONSORS.

Options include Ball, and match sponsorship, Team Sponsorship
and advertising banners which last the whole season (September - May 1st)

Please visit.
www.paigntonrugby.co.uk - click sponsorship for details.

Linux -

Free your mind, save money, Use Linux and open source.
Open source,  don't get left in the dark ages, migrate now.
www.linux.org