Re: [LUG] Graphics Cards (was Meeting in Paignton)

Quoting Anton Channing <achanning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

So let me get this straight, I thought AGP was the slot in
the motherboard for inserting a graphics card.  But from
they way people are talking, the graphics chip built into
the motherboard is also AGP?

I had, perhaps wrongly, assumed that using the AGP slot
would automatically override the onboard chip.  I had
never thought of looking in the BIOS.  I'm going to get
back to Debian over the weekend and try and sort these
issues out, I've been kind of busy this week doing
photoshop work.  Eventually I'd like to see what graphics
software there is for gnome, but I expect it will be a while
before I give up photoshop completely.  Simply because
its hard for an artist to adjust to a new medium.

I think it depends on the motherboard, bios and chipset.  In the past I've
seen PC Chips Athlon motherboards which have on board video cards, as far as I
know the onboard video card is normally AGP.  The Intel 815 motherboard my
friend uses has no means of disabling the onboard video, or if it does it
isn't obvious (i.e. option in bios or jumper on board!).

Rob