Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

Quoting Matt Lee <mattl@xxxxxxx>:

Right now, I believe Debian is the distribution that the community
should promote to new users. Debian testing, to be exact. It can be
easily upgraded, seems rock solid, supports a beautiful and consistent
interface in the form of GNOME and hot plugging of devices works like a
dream. I find KDE to be Windows with eye-candy, whereas GNOME and its
spatial interface actually works. My mother, having never used GNOME
before was able to login, open a browser and log onto her GMail account
without problems - this is the kind of thing we need to promote, and
promoting the purpose of free software let's us do just that.
GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux.

Well I tried to promote Mandrake 9.2 to my friend last night, we kind of got
it installed, well he installed it and I just sat near by, it installed okay
but since the machine has an on board video card AND a PCI video card
installed it got confused and wouldn't work.

Not a good start, I told him to try SUSE Personal 9.1 and he couldn't even
burn the ISO to a disc without my PC crashing! :-|

Not sure what the other distributions would be like with the dual graphics
cards, I know it isn't a standard thing to have two graphics cards but it
confused my friend.

Rob