Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

Rob Beard wrote:

Well I tried to promote Mandrake 9.2 to my friend last night, we kind of got it installed, well he installed it and I just sat near by, it installed okay but since the machine has an on board video card AND a PCI video card installed it got confused and wouldn't work.

Not a good start, I told him to try SUSE Personal 9.1 and he couldn't even burn the ISO to a disc without my PC crashing! :-|

Not sure what the other distributions would be like with the dual graphics cards, I know it isn't a standard thing to have two graphics cards but it confused my friend.

Rob

My machine has both an on board graphics chip (an accident,
I bought the wrong motherboard.  My first ever self built PC),
and an AGP graphics card, and I installed Debian Testing with
ease.  I had previously had problems with SuSE and Mandrake
distributions.

Admittedly, it is currently only running in 800x600 mode, but
at least it got that far, and presumably, when I get back to the
replies I had on that, I will be able to fix this also.

And to be fair, Windoze XP doesn't always seem happy with
my graphics card anyway.  It runs okay, but sometimes the
graphics go all scewy (of some might just say thats Windows
anyway), and eventually crashes. I think at some point I will either
ditch the AGP card, or upgrade the motherboard and processor
to one that doesn't have a built in graphics chip.

Anton