Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 10:34 am, Rob Beard wrote:
Um.... I've been following the discussions about LUG and GLUG and I'm
really confused.  What exactly is the difference between a LUG and a GLUG?

Nothing really. The functions are the same, the methods are the same. It's
just giving a little credit to the GNU contribution, that's all.

It's incorrect to assume that GNU/Linux will confuse - Debian has always been
GNU/Linux. The idea comes from seeing the OS from a Windows viewpoint - where
there is only one definitive version, one official version. GNU/Linux is all
about choice and freedom - inevitably greater choice generates greater
diversity and increases the potential for confusion. It's the same with
deregulated utilities or generic medication vs brand.

By being clear about the options, we help people decide IF Debian is for them
or Mandrake or RH, whatever. There never will be a gold standard GNU/Linux
distribution (thankfully) because nobody is in overall control. Users and
developers decide which they will use for personal and subjective reasons.

It does NOT pay to over simplify and blur the boundaries by calling everything
Linux - it is not. New users need clarity, but not at the expense of choice.

One LARGE problem with calling everything Linux is the world of Apple. MacOSX
is NOT Linux, it contains no Linux kernel but it can use GNU software.

I'm probably but I understood Linux to be the kernel and GNU to be a set of
open source tools?  Or am I completely wrong on that?

Absolutely correct.

The kernel is Linux, GNU provides a lot of the system utilities and increasing
numbers of applications.

Either way, I'm confused why it makes so much difference calling the LUG a
GLUG or LUG and why its so important?

It's not. I'm amazed that anyone feels strongly about the change, it's just a
small expression of gratitude to those who provided the rest of the system,
not just the kernel.

--

Neil Williams