Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Neil Williams wrote:

It's incorrect to assume that GNU/Linux will confuse - Debian has always been GNU/Linux. The idea comes from seeing the OS from a Windows viewpoint - where there is only one definitive version, one official version. GNU/Linux is all about choice and freedom - inevitably greater choice generates greater diversity and increases the potential for confusion. It's the same with deregulated utilities or generic medication vs brand.

I'd disagree that wanting to easily brand an operating system is a Windows viewpoint - I'd suggest it's a consumer's viewpoint. How many people do you know who call SWEB 'The electricity board', does it matter to them (aside from cost) who is providing their electicity as long as they are supplied?

It does NOT pay to over simplify and blur the boundaries by calling
everything Linux - it is not. New users need clarity, but not at the expense of choice.

I disagree that what you call it reduces choice.

One LARGE problem with calling everything Linux is the world of Apple. MacOSX
is NOT Linux, it contains no Linux kernel but it can use GNU software.

Has RMS ever suggested calling OSX GNU/OSX, when someone puts cygwin on a Windows machine should it be called GNU/Windows?

I do however want to make it clear that I'm not against GNU software or principles, but I don't think that trying to force everyone to call it GNU/Linux is beneficial.

Alex.