Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alex Charrett" <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

My main point is that I don't belive being obstinate about what to call it
is more important than the cause of free software.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

As far as I am concerned as a 9 year Winblows user converting to Linux, I am
much more concerned with a reliable easy-to-use alternative than what it is
called.  For all I care it could be called Slartibartfarst's First OS ;)
There is a time and place for discussions about licensing and correct
terminology.  With the greatest respect to those more expert in such areas,
I think the dual aims of educating people about the nature of various
licenses, and converting them from other OSs to Linux are mutually
exclusive, at least to a certain extent.  A two stage process is more
appropriate IMHO, first get them using Linux, *then* teach them what the
different licenses and ethos are.

I'm generalising, but I suspect the vast majority of contributors and
lurkers on this (and other) LUG mailing lists are fairly technically adept.
If we want Joe/Jane Bloggs in the street to convert to Linux we can't be
scaring him/her off with insistence on correct terminology all the time.
The number of customers I've spoken to in the last few years who referred to
"Uploading" information from their CD-ROM or floppy disk could make you tear
your hair out.  The average computer user does not care what the correct
terms for what they do are, they just want it to work.  If we just accept
the quirks and let the users get on with learning the new OS I think
everyone will be a lot happier, and a lot more productive.  Yes you can
gently prod the person and tell them it's called "copying" not uploading,
but don't be surprised when they reply "Oh.... It's called uploading on
Windows, why does Linux have to be different?"  Some people don't want to
know the technical terms, they just want to use their computer.

On a side issue I just thought of.  The average user is familiar with the
terms Linux and *Linux User Group* or LUG.  So if they want help on Linux in
their area they will go to Mr Google and type in, for example "Devon LUG".
If the group name is changed to GLUG the chances are Google will miss the
group entirely, or even if the helpful query says "Did you mean Devon GLUG?"
the user will say No not knowing a GLUG from a hole in the wall.

Kind regards,

Julian