Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Matt Lee wrote:

As for Apple - there's a very obvious reason why Richard doesn't ask for it to be called GNU/Mac OS X or GNU/Windows when you have Cygwin installed - the GNU project didn't set out to make a set of free tools for Apple or Red Hat to package up in a nice way and ship to users of proprietary operating systems - they set out to create a free UNIX, and that's what GNU/Linux is.

Ahh, but GNU's *not* UNIX ;)

Anyway, point taken - I wasn't being terribly helpful with that comment.

My main point is that I don't belive being obstinate about what to call it is more important than the cause of free software. I know people don't seem to like brands in free software but the word Linux has become a useful brand in the promotion of free sofware. I think not having a name that is not techically correct is a small price to pay if it gets more people into free software.

Alex.