Re: [LUG] GNU/Linux vs Linux vs whatever!

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:07:22 +0000 (GMT)
Alex Charrett wrote:

Ahh, but GNU's *not* UNIX ;)

Neither's Linux :oD

Anyway, point taken - I wasn't being terribly helpful with that comment.

My main point is that I don't belive being obstinate about what to call it
is more important than the cause of free software.   I know people don't
seem to like brands in free software but the word Linux has become a
useful brand in the promotion of free sofware.  I think not having a name
that is not techically correct is a small price to pay if it gets more
people into free software.

Alex.

You're not the only one that thinks that way.  And I'm glad that we're talking about
"Free Software" and not about "Open Source".  Another hurdle that I've encountered
on a few occasions myself.  But, with careful wording and a patient smile, most
people are willing to accept what the difference between them is.  I am guessing
that after they get used to this kind of idea (concepts of Free vs Open) and know
what they both mean, they'll be more inclined to understand the distinction between
"GNU/Linux" and "Linux".  Personally I think it's a case of "softly softly catchy
monkey"... break them in easily rather than give them too much all at once - hence
the proliferation of nice and friendly, fully GUIfied distros.

£0.02

Grant.

PS - Off topic:

I have probably got a load of fresh meat for Linux.  I will be starting a class soon
(next week or so) about "Operating Systems".  Since they've already done a load on
Win2k with another tutor for another module, it's going to be my job to focus on
"alternatives" (God I hate that phrase!).  Just need to clarify with the HOD exactly
how much detail is expected... I don't know yet whether things like RTOS and
embedded systems are to be covered, or just your basic common-or-garden
Desktop/Server OSs.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.