Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Quoting paul sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx>:

 I think aiming these systems at perhaps linux user groups,  would be
better,or even students, going to uni (however even then they may need
both Windows and Linux).   He also said it was difficult to sell blank
systems because of piracy,  etc.

It isn't illegal to sell 'blank' systems.  This is just a Microsoft thing,
they want every PC to be sold with a licence, I think Dell got round this by
installing MS-DOS on their servers or something.

At the end of the day, once the user has bought a PC they can do what they
like with it.  I know some people who have bought PCs with Windows 98 or ME on
it and they don't have any concerns about borrowing and installing a pirate
copy of Windows XP Pro corporate on their PCs, so if the PC has an OS or not,
it still happens.

I think there is a lot of good reports on Linux and it's made out to be
a great alternative to windows and will do everything (perhaps over
hyped),  what people fail to mention is the extra work that goes into
getting it too work, (e.g dvd drivers, nvidia, drivers etc), not much
for us, but for some will not be good enough.

As mentioned before, if he's going to sell a PC, it should work out of the
box.  I have my own PC building/repair business albeit I've not been putting
much time into it (been contracting instead for a while) but whenever I sell a
PC, or re-build a PC for someone, I make sure EVERYTHING works before handing
it over to the customer, even if it does mean an extra hour or two to test the
machine.  If he is worried about compatibility, he could look at some of the
white box manufacturers which advertise in CTO magazine.  Two I can think of
are Pixel Electronics (who also sell systems with Linux pre-installed) and A-
Sure technology (who was started by the ex management of Tiny Computers,
although don't let this put you off).

so again?
Is Linux ready as a 100% replacement for windows for new home users
(truthfully),  but also as a system that people can do everything and
anything they want.  So I can buy any game for windows and run it on
linux which as I said earlier people will expect.

How many games run well on a Windows PC anyway?  Take Doom 3 for instance, I
tried it on my PC (Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB Ram, ATI Radion 9200), it runs but not
overly great.  How many normal users would be prepared to fork out £300 on a
graphics card alone when you can get a games console for £100?

IHO, an average user usually buys a PC from the likes of PC World or Time
computers, they are fairly decent spec for most things but usually have either
a low spec graphics card, or even worse - on board video with shared memory,
so even in Windows, games aren't going to be that good.

Anyone got any suggestions.  He is going to drop off a computer saturday
(possibly) so I can install Linux on that, (however I am very bad at
selling Linux advantages),  which is going to cause problems as when he
says "windows is easier) I have no answer,  same goes for him saying
that his MS boxes are correctly set up and he has no problems with
viruses etc, (he has MSCE or whatever it is), etc, from my experience
Linux is more stable than Windows, (even though Linux apps crash),  but
he has got MS systems that never crash),

Does he know anything about Linux?  I'm thinking if he doesn't, maybe he's
better off getting to know it himself before trying to sell PCs with it
installed?

Rob