Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

On Thursday 09 December 2004 19:13, paul sutton wrote:

Business Model
--------------------
He wants to sell a line of PC's
running Linux so they are cheaper than the windows boxes he sells.

Profit.

We need to look at this from a beginner point of view,  it goes back to
is Linux ready for the desktop,  there is no full answer to this

Invert it.  For which desktops is linux ready.

I am stuck, imagine a person who has never touched a computer before, or
perhaps had done clait at their local college,  buying a computer cheap
running Linux,  how suitable is that machine for them.?

Mail, Web, wordprocessor.  V. suitable.

Is Linux ready as a 100% replacement for windows for new home users
That is a different topic really.
Try putting it in a green field site first.

Presumably Kevin has a fair idea of what ... and ... are intended to be?

I'd say a fierce restriction on what you install is the first thing, and the
second thing is some very task-oriented instructions, possibly backed by a
standard installation +/- scripts.

--
Dr Adrian Midgley          GP  Exeter              www.defoam.net
Open Source is a necessary but not of itself sufficient condition.