Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 19:13, paul sutton wrote:
Hi

Just had a chat with Kevin at Farseer,  He wants to sell a line of PC's
running Linux so they are cheaper than the windows boxes he sells.  One
of the problems is that not just Linux  users are going to buy them.
Because they are cheaper,  any user will go for them simply because they
are cheaper.

His concernes are

Most users expect any computer to run the same way as windows, even a
complete newbe who won't know the difference they are not going to want
to be compiling a driver to get the web cam to work, recompiling the
kernel (not really relevant now),  or anything else technical.  Most are
not going to read the manual, or understand the difference and want to
run LInux in teh same way as they would windows.

Windows users just expect things to work. e.g

A few years ago we were selling old kit (486's) at the tech,  cheap,
and some of the people were asking "does this run XP".  Essentially,
this is the problem and the level of users that could be buying these boxes.

I did suggest advertising simply to existing Linux users but he said he
needs  sales.    I think  some of the lug members have dual booted
systems of friends to give then a taste of Linux with some success.

We need to look at this from a beginner point of view,  it goes back to
is Linux ready for the desktop,  there is no full answer to this,  If I
worked in an office, and just needed MSwindows and an office suite,
there is no reason why I can't use Linux/X/and open office,

However for home users,  who want to play all the new games that are
out,  the situation is different, and they won't want to bother with
reading manuals, compiling software etc.

What do people suggest, because a linux system is cheaper, then people
are going to buy it for that reason.  and then as he said complain to
him if things don't work, (I can get my windows game to work),  even if
it says this runs Linux.  I have found getting things working takes
time,  and involves a lot of work that is not needed under windows (e.g
Starwars galactic battlegrounds just works).

 I think aiming these systems at perhaps linux user groups,  would be
better,or even students, going to uni (however even then they may need
both Windows and Linux).   He also said it was difficult to sell blank
systems because of piracy,  etc.

I am stuck, imagine a person who has never touched a computer before, or
perhaps had done clait at their local college,  buying a computer cheap
running Linux,  how suitable is that machine for them.?

I think there is a lot of good reports on Linux and it's made out to be
a great alternative to windows and will do everything (perhaps over
hyped),  what people fail to mention is the extra work that goes into
getting it too work, (e.g dvd drivers, nvidia, drivers etc), not much
for us, but for some will not be good enough.

so again?
Is Linux ready as a 100% replacement for windows for new home users
(truthfully),  but also as a system that people can do everything and
anything they want.  So I can buy any game for windows and run it on
linux which as I said earlier people will expect.

I did point out that Wine is Alpha, and he said that was no good,  so
even things like vmware are not an option, because that needs a legal
copy of Windows.

Anyone got any suggestions.  He is going to drop off a computer saturday
(possibly) so I can install Linux on that, (however I am very bad at
selling Linux advantages),  which is going to cause problems as when he
says "windows is easier) I have no answer,  same goes for him saying
that his MS boxes are correctly set up and he has no problems with
viruses etc, (he has MSCE or whatever it is), etc, from my experience
Linux is more stable than Windows, (even though Linux apps crash),  but
he has got MS systems that never crash),

so I really could do with some help on marketing and as I said hes
better off chatting to people from the Lug, who can argue points far
better than me.

One thing even as I type this Mozilla mail is acting weird and the mouse
won't highlight and goes sluggish sometimes,  this is even with 512 mb
of memory,  (windows version works better), thats what we are up
against,  I am used to quirks and work round them.  But he will not see
it that way as he is used to running Windows  and knows what he is doing.

thanks for any help
Paul

All important points ....

1. Games will always be a sticking point until GNU/Linux gets to
critical Mass. When enough users go into the game shops and say "My game
don't work on linux" the industry will listen, for now the
unsatisfactory answer is sorry we can't do X & Y  but we can do A & B.
In the mean time look for a customer base that doesn't see games (or at
least that sort of game) as important.

My rather glib personal answer computers are for computing for
everything else there's <insert favourite console name here>

2. Hardware: stock only supported hardware, and if your friend is in the
multi unit stack'em high sell them cheap market, then get him to write
to the hardware vendors who actively support linux drivers praising
there efforts and inform the others of why they are loosing out on
multi-unit sales. Yes your friend may not exactly be Dell but enough
smaller volume traders venturing into the same market and sending the
same sort of letters of praise / disappointment where appropriate will
get the message through to the hardware vendors. Hardware vendors aren't
stupid if they loose a sale or two they wont go crying if the market
analyst gets up in the board meeting and says we are loosing the
equivalent of a multi-million unit sale contract (letters from your
friend and similar in hand)  because we don't support linux, they will
sit up and listen.

However Don't expect miracles (quite yet).....

3. Get a gimmick that works. Example The new Ottakars's bookshop in
Torquay is not just a book shop it has a small coffee shop at the back
and a nice sofa and table. If the books don't initially grab your
attention the smell of coffee will (and I dont even drink it these
days). As far as I can see they are doing a roaring trade (books and
coffee). The atmosphere is relaxing and homely and you can almost forget
that its there to make you buy books.

My suggestion is that your friend starts a GNU/Linux club based around
whatever distro he intends to use as the base for his boxes. Whether the
customer is taken in or not they will feel that they have a place to go
(even if its only one night a week) and share there problems and
solutions, in other words a scaled down version of DGLUG. Or in other
words here is a salesman that wants to make sure that I have ease of
mind well after my cheque has been cashed.

4. Know your market and who you want to sell to. This leads on from the
first / previous point. Demographically Torbay / Paignton has a lot of
retired people, who want to keep there brains ticking and have plenty of
time to do it. If they are anything like my mother (hmm maybe a bad
example) the thing that puts them off computers is the "thanks for the
cheque ... heres your box .... bye bye ...." attitude or the <suck air
through teeth> fixing that is going to be very expensive </suck air
through teeth>.

No... NO... NOOOO.... A much more astute policy is to say to the senior
citizen customer "What do you intend to do with your computer ?". AND
LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY (there that got your attention).

Remember that a customer is for life not just for Christmas and you cant
go wrong.

If there answer is "A little bit of word processing (eg complaining to
local MP about ......... previous computer supplier about .....) and a
bit of internet browsing and doing the weekly budget in a spreadsheet
then your friends quids in as I dont know of any of the major distros
that dont supply Open Office, Mozilla, Evolution out the box.

If the customer wants to contact his/her grand children 1/2 across the
world via teleconferencing then its a little bit more tricky, but not
impossible (as you know Paul). He sets it up demonstrates and the
customer is happy, emphasis on the after sales support group and the
customer will be back for a scanner / printer / digital camera and self
help group sessions in the not too distant future.

And for the senior citizen who want to run DOOM 3000 .... erm ( I may be
wrong of course) but I dont think there will be many.

And so your senior citizen customer is a happy convert to GNU/Linux,
your shop keeper is happily selling units (and being recommended down
the senior citizens grapevine) and can keep his finger on the pulse of
his customers because they regularly drop in to see each other and
discus (besides back pain and rheumatism, which is the best site point
mozilla at when they want to order a herbal on line for said back pain /
rheumatism).

The above is all of course "just for fun" TM and no one should take the
above as a strategic plan for a would be multi-national GNU/linux box
shifting shopping chain. However should any of the above sound bites
lead to or contribute significantly to the establishment of said
shopping chain the author would like to point out that cheques of any
amount above 0 will be well received, and should that be considered too
excessive, a postcard depicting the view from said multinationals
Tuscany Villa with the words "wish you where here" will be considered
suitable payment <sob>.

Seriously though I do think the senior citizen market could benefit from
GNU/Linux especially if its packaged with no-nonsense support and a
friendly (long lasting) after sales support. It may not make you rich
but you will feel more rewarded.

Tom :-)

He who needs to lie down in a darken room for a few hours to delay
possible meltdown of bio-cpu unit with limited lifetime warranty.