Re: [LUG] It's CentOS, Jim, but not as we know it...

On 11/12/2020 11:00, Simon Avery wrote:
Redhat has generally been a good servant to the linux world, but now... It's a faithful old dog that's just taken a big crap on your best rug. Not only that, it's making it clear that that's it's crapping place now, and there's nothing you can do about it, nor can the people who made and clean the rug. So screw you.

Haha and that was after you said I was being unnecessarily harsh!

Unfortunately I think there's just too much stuff to go over here, especially blow by blow on a mailing list - we'll be here forever. Definitely needs a lengthy pub conversation so we can divert into divergent Linux philosophies (I think you're right, we definitely approach this differently) and whether or not RedHat are the bad guys or not.

So what do we agree on?

Hmm, definitely more work for both of us no matter how we look at it. So thanks for that RedHat/IBM management. In the short term I guess we keep a sharp eye on Rocky Linux and hope it turns out to be exactly what we all want/need for better or for worse: a drop in CentOS replacement. I'm less convinced than you that this is a good idea - it's already failed once - BUT I remain as ever entirely possible to convince. Perhaps Rocky Linux will evolve rapidly to become better than CentOS was and it'll turn out to be a positive development. Actually, I think that's not unlikely in the mid to long term (we probably also have different definitions of that I suspect - I think I operate on a vastly compressed timeframe to you).

Oh can we also agree that we'll stop even mentioning Oracle Linux? After getting burned by RedHat/IBM corporate decisions jumping ship to Oracle would be enough for our friends to think we'd developed battered wife syndrome and needed an intervention.

Let's see what happens for now then - you're definitely more invested for want of a better term in CentOS than me. It's just another disposable tool in my collection from my perspective, and not one I particularly had any love for in the first place so I'll discard it without a second thought and replace it with whatever $JOBNEEDS. Despite what you might think I promise I'm not dancing on CentOS' grave or anything, it's never done me any harm other than mildly annoy me to be fair!

Keep us posted on what your company ends up going with. I can steal your ideas then :]