Re: [LUG] It's CentOS, Jim, but not as we know it...

The good news is that CentOS - which as you may have guessed, I don't
like very much - will soon largely disappear from the internet

Time is the only judge of this, of course - but I don't think it will. The inertia here is huge, as you know. Redhat will be getting a lot more panicked RHEL subscriptions - it's something we're pricing up too.

Centos will remain. C7 is good for another four years, C8S might not be unusable and even in this nerfed state, be preferable to the alternatives. I fully expect it to stay around semi-permanently, as it's now merely the development branch of RHEL. Redhat needs /somewhere/ to push their unstable testing packages, and who better to test it than people who are locked in?

life, good riddance. It reminds me of all the nasty enterprisey UNIX
distros from the past that I used to love so much, and not in a good
way. Even better news is that SO MANY PEOPLE rely on it that this will
be basically fixed in a mad scramble so sysadmins won't have to do that
much anyway.

Maybe, but 1 year isn't so long to evaluate and implement a major change for some companies, as you know. Especially those that develop in-house software for a specific platform and needs retooling.

However, with Atlassian also chasing the money and shafting it's onprem users so royally two months ago, some others will be moving away from Bamboo to other build environments, so combining these two big changes is possible.

Linux or whatever other community led projects to basically redo CentOS
_again_ will have matured to the point they'll probably just be a
drop-in. And if not, well, there's plenty more Linux variants out there
and most of them are better anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand why you hate Centos so much, but everyone has their opinion. I've been using it almost exclusively for the past couple of years (with a few debian boxes of my own) and I like most of its design. I've not enjoyed the delays caused by under resourcing in that time, though. Things have been creaking on that side for a while.

But drop ins already exist. Oracle Linux (I don't mean to trigger anyone by saying those words) - is free and has a handy curl|bash .sh script to migrate Centos boxes to OL and has done for some time. It's binary compatible with RHEL and entirely free (until you need support).

Of course, anyone who has been around the block a few times is going to be just as reluctant to trust Oracle as they now are to trust IBM-Redhat. Both are cut from the same cloth and their interests are purely financial.

Let's hope the freeloading CentOS v2 commercial users who all just got
bitten learn their lesson this time around - the code itself may be free
as in freedom but nothing else is. Chip in with some pennies to support
the operating system project that you literally depend on for your
business or else.

Well yes, but it's not that easy to persuade when there is no need to. And even when you do, to ensure the money goes to the right place. But the current issues are not to do with Centos being underfunded, I believe Redhat would have done the same thing regardless. The budget they were spending on it was insignificant, but it just doesn't fit their new ultra-commercial business models.

I'd also like to add that everyone is looking in the wrong place anyway
- the future is containerized. RedHat's Atomic/Silverblue is the way
things will go, not crappy old monolithic legacy installs. That and the
cloud (including "on-premises" clouds) will shortly blow away what's
left of what people think of as normal Linux servers these days.

Y'know, I've been hearing that for years. Certainly more than a decade. Things are definitely going that way, but there are definitely far more "pets" in the commercial  linux world than it's assumed by many. Yes, "cattle" are great when it comes to making changes to the base installs and for quick deployment and scalability - but people are slow to change (I include myself in this) - and building specific machines for specific purposes is still very much a thing, even if they are more likely to be vm than physical.

And cloud... will never replace all use cases. But that's a whole other thing!