[LUG] It's CentOS, Jim, but not as we know it...

Dear all,

This popped up on my feed today, and it doesn't seem like good news.

https://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.com/2020/12/09/centos_red_hat/

The standard CentOS, which is been a community project to build Red Hat
Enterprise Linux for those who don't need Red Hat's support contract, is
going to discontinued. Now it seems as though CentOS will exclusively be
the less stable 'Stream' version.

I don't know where this leaves any of us here that require a stable,
free OS, but I have a feeling that the answer may include 'Debian'!
Ubuntu LTS is based on Debian, and Phil Morrell tells me that Trisquel
(a fully free GNU/Linux distribution) also derives from Debian.

Gordon Henderson has found this link to a site that seems... er,
critical of Red Hat's announcement:

https://centos.rip/

The Register's article suggested that there may be paid positions
available for a new community project to follow RHEL, so maybe that will
be of interest to those here looking for employement in this field.

Best wishes, Sebastian
- Freenode: 'seabass'