Re: [LUG] It's CentOS, Jim, but not as we know it...

On 11/12/2020 11:00, Simon Avery wrote:
> Redhat has generally been a good servant to the linux world, but now...
> It's a faithful old dog that's just taken a big crap on your best rug.
> Not only that, it's making it clear that that's it's crapping place now,
> and there's nothing you can do about it, nor can the people who made and
> clean the rug. So screw you.

Haha and that was after you said I was being unnecessarily harsh!

Ah, but you were being harsh about the thing I liked, not the thing I didn't :)

Unfortunately I think there's just too much stuff to go over here,
especially blow by blow on a mailing list - we'll be here forever.

Sure, thing, chief. And yes, I'm quite invested in Centos, and possibly a little sentimental, even though it's only featured in my life for the past two years. It got me my current job, and I've come to respect and appreciate those who gave so much of their time and skill to make it great.

It's those people whom I'm angriest about, really. My employer paid for my time in migrating machines to Centos 8 Linux. We're both pissed off that instead of 10 years before we need to do it again, we get about a year. But some of the community have spent hours every day working to make it good for many, many years. My troubles and sense of betrayal are nothing to theirs.

So what do we agree on?

Windows is bad? Actually, there's probably a whole grey crossover there, too. Damn.

Hmm, definitely more work for both of us no matter how we look at it. So
thanks for that RedHat/IBM management. In the short term I guess we keep
a sharp eye on Rocky Linux and hope it turns out to be exactly what we

Cloudlinux will beat it. They're doing a free bug-for-bug rhel clone for Q1 (that's who I couldn't think of.). Cern do a C8 build already. And theres... Damn, I've forgotten the other one too. Stupid organic memory. Begins with S?

Oh can we also agree that we'll stop even mentioning Oracle Linux? After

Unfortunately, that's the only true drop-in replacement around today. But yeah, we're not rushing in that direction. That we use MariaDb instead of Mysql exclusively is an indication of our thinking there...

getting burned by RedHat/IBM corporate decisions jumping ship to Oracle
would be enough for our friends to think we'd developed battered wife
syndrome and needed an intervention.

Hah!

what you might think I promise I'm not dancing on CentOS' grave or
anything, it's never done me any harm other than mildly annoy me to be
fair!

I get it. Two years ago I'd have been, "Oh, really?" at this news. I'd never used centos and was firmly a Debian user.

I'm not averse to OpenSuse either - having spoken to some of their engineers, they're also great people. I run an OpenSuse machine for Uyuni, but... Look, I know it's silly, but their package manager is called 'zypper'. And to upgrade, you need to type "zypper up". How can you expect me to take that seriously?