Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 09/04/2020 03:47, comrade meowski wrote:
On 09/04/2020 00:02, Julian Hall wrote:

I have another Pi on WiFi which does work. I might try inserting that WiFi dongle /only/ to see what dmesg says about it.

Ok, so it does _need_ to work then, gotcha.
In fairness /need/ may be over-emphasising it slightly as this email discussion among ither things has all been on that PC. More reliability and speed would be nice though.
And you know the adaptor works in the same machine in the same USB port but under Windows - that's really helpful to know as well. Have you tried moving USB ports though while dmesg -wT is running?
I just tried all the ports of my powered hub, but as that's only using one port itself I also tried the single front mounted USB. All had identical output to the original one I posted. I could try a couple of the back ports, however I'm in a wheelchair; it's not impossibleby any means, but the voulme of swearing involved could be quite interesting :)
Linux makes XHCI and USB3 more awkward than it needs to be so definitely try that.

Weren't some of your command outputs earlier showing a wlan device at times on your PC? I presumed that was another interface or you'd said you'd disabled it manually? Just checking we're not missing something insanely obvious and it's not actually popping up as wlan0.
I don't recall seeing wlam0 mentioned in any of my output.
I note it doesn't seem to be grabbing the firmware blob and loading it during the module insertion on the adaptor either. Might be time to write off this driver and choose one of the other github sources - annoyingly there are several of them to choose from.

Please remind me exactly what manufacturer make/model variant of this device you've got as well, better check some basics.

This is what Amazon lists it as 'ASUS USB-AC68 Dual Band Wireless AC1900 USB Adapter, USB 3.0, 2 x External Adjustable Antenna with Stand MIMO, 3T4R, AiRadar Beamforming, Backward Compatible with USB 2.0 and 802.11 a/b/g/n Standard'. I have a ASUS RT-AC68U router so the two should have been a perfect match - in fact it flies in Windows as it has the 5Ghz network all to itself.

We need to backtrack a bit and check it against a list like this:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/realtek.html
That page is familiar - it may well be where I obtained the rtl8814au driver which had to be taken off.
And this time we'll be more careful about which random github project we choose. You also started off this whole thread by saying that the officially provided Ubuntu rtl8812au-dkms package didn't work as well right?
I think so.. my problem is as often the case a lack of knowledge; I saw a Github link that said it has an rtl8814 driver for Linux, but only saw a page full of files which meant nothing to me when I opened it. I had fondly hoped for one file, or a DEB to download and install.
Definitely pop it into the Pi just to see what dmesg spits out - a working Linux module running there would be great, we'll steal the info from it and leverage it to get the right one for your PC.

After much fannying about trying to get the wireless keyboard working only to realise I was using a /Bluetooth/ dongle - DOH! - I did what I should have originally.. yes SSH is my friend. The Pi's output was pretty much the same. Should I leave well alone or try a Pi driver from the install CD?

[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 5 using dwc_otg
[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0b05, idProduct=1853
[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: Product: 802.11ac NIC
[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: Realtek
[Thu Apr  9 15:19:47 2020] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 123456

Finally install this (which I've never seen before tonight somehow):

sudo apt install hardinfo
I do have that, as of a few days ago. Trying to solve this I stumbled on a forum with a post saying Linux lacks the Windows Device Manager. This was recommended instead; the difference I can see is that this seems to only list working hardware, Windows lists everything connected, working or not.

Which is nothing like as useful as "lspci -vvv" and the like but is still surprisingly useful.

And finally what does this say:

* sudo lshw -C network

(base) julian@CERCE:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for julian:
  *-network
       product: MCP77 Ethernet
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: a
       bus info: pci@0000:00:0a.0
       logical name: enp0s10
       version: a2
       serial: 00:19:66:f7:4b:1c
       size: 1Gbit/s
       capacity: 1Gbit/s
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
       configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=forcedeth driverversion=0.64 duplex=full ip=192.168.1.2 latency=0 link=yes maxlatency=20 mingnt=1 multicast=yes port=MII speed=1Gbit/s
       resources: irq:29 memory:fcf7c000-fcf7cfff ioport:c880(size=8) memory:fcf7e400-fcf7e4ff memory:fcf7e000-fcf7e00f

(base) julian@CERCE:~

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley