Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 05/04/2020 23:20, Julian Hall wrote:
On 04/04/2020 17:34, comrade meowski wrote:
On 04/04/2020 15:04, Julian Hall wrote:

I still don't understand what enp0s10 is supposed to mean though. For my purposes eth0 and wlan0 work perfectly well. Output of ifconfig below with nothing other than the wired connection and loopback listed.

Ah, still having problems then I see chief. You've prompted me to knock up a quick Mint 19.3 VM - just installing - now so I can exactly what you have to deal with. Haven't really used Mint at all for ages and my only other Mint VM was prehistoric. Your sources.list files didn't look broken, just a bit weird compared to "normal" Ubuntu or Debian setups. I'll wait until I've had a quick poke on the VM to see if that's expected or your system is doing odd things.

On to your wifi device - I'm presuming you've rebooted today and are starting fresh?
It's only ever on when I'm awake - well OK conscious :) - and in my home office, so the short answer is yes.
I'd check to see if your system has loaded the driver correctly first of all.

lsmod | grep 8812au
(base) julian@CERCE:~$ lsmod | grep 8812au
8812au                987136  0

It seems to be loaded.

BTW I also downloaded Live ISOs of Debian, OpenSuse and Fedora. Would it be worth longterm seeing if they behave better?

Kind regards,

Julian

Ah! I've just spotted a problem, it's 8814au not 8812au. Apologies if I said it was an 8812au. Updated lsmod output:

base) julian@CERCE:~$ sudo modprobe 8814au
[sudo] password for julian:
modprobe: FATAL: Module 8814au not found in directory /lib/modules/5.3.0-45-generic

It looks like it's not loaded which explains a lot.

Julian