Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 05/04/2020 23:29, Michael Everitt wrote:

(base) julian@CERCE:~$ lsmod | grep 8812au
8812au                987136  0

It seems to be loaded.

BTW I also downloaded Live ISOs of Debian, OpenSuse and Fedora. Would it
be worth longterm seeing if they behave better?

Ah! I've just spotted a problem, it's 8814au not 8812au. Apologies if I
said it was an 8812au. Updated lsmod output:

base) julian@CERCE:~$ sudo modprobe 8814au
[sudo] password for julian:
modprobe: FATAL: Module 8814au not found in directory
/lib/modules/5.3.0-45-generic

It looks like it's not loaded which explains a lot.

No, no, that's the correct driver for the 8814 chipset .. the 8812au covers
both types.

what do you get now with 'ifconfig -a' .. you should have something that
starts 'wl.....'. Failing that, 'dmesg | grep 8812' might tell us something ...

More specifically, in a terminal run:

dmesg -wT

And then watch it live update as you unplug/replug the adaptor. dmesg will spit out kernel messages which will tell you what's happening. ME's right about the driver as well so don't worry about that - it's also autoloading correctly so you're 90% of the way there.

We just need to get it under the control of your chosen GUI network manager now so you can use it without having to ifconfig it up.