Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 05/04/20 23:27, Julian Hall wrote:
> On 05/04/2020 23:20, Julian Hall wrote:

>>> Ah, still having problems then I see chief. You've prompted me to knock
>>> up a quick Mint 19.3 VM - just installing - now so I can exactly what
>>> you have to deal with. Haven't really used Mint at all for ages and my
>>> only other Mint VM was prehistoric. Your sources.list files didn't look
>>> broken, just a bit weird compared to "normal" Ubuntu or Debian setups.
>>> I'll wait until I've had a quick poke on the VM to see if that's
>>> expected or your system is doing odd things.
>>>
>>> On to your wifi device - I'm presuming you've rebooted today and are
>>> starting fresh?
>> It's only ever on when I'm awake - well OK conscious :) - and in my home
>> office, so the short answer is yes.
>>> I'd check to see if your system has loaded the driver correctly first
>>> of all.
>>>
>>> lsmod | grep 8812au
>> (base) julian@CERCE:~$ lsmod | grep 8812au
>> 8812au                987136  0
>>
>> It seems to be loaded.
>>
>> BTW I also downloaded Live ISOs of Debian, OpenSuse and Fedora. Would it
>> be worth longterm seeing if they behave better?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Julian
>>

> Ah! I've just spotted a problem, it's 8814au not 8812au. Apologies if I
> said it was an 8812au. Updated lsmod output:
>
> base) julian@CERCE:~$ sudo modprobe 8814au
> [sudo] password for julian:
> modprobe: FATAL: Module 8814au not found in directory
> /lib/modules/5.3.0-45-generic
>
> It looks like it's not loaded which explains a lot.
>
> Julian

No, no, that's the correct driver for the 8814 chipset .. the 8812au covers
both types.

what do you get now with 'ifconfig -a' .. you should have something that
starts 'wl.....'. Failing that, 'dmesg | grep 8812' might tell us something ...

Cheers,
Michael/veremitz.