Re: [LUG] Getting a USB AC68 dongle to work in Mint 19.3

On 08/04/2020 22:18, comrade meowski wrote:
On 08/04/2020 21:51, Julian Hall wrote:

No, bought last week.. I made the mistake of seeing it said it works on a Raspberry Pi and - as Raspbian is Debian based as is Mint - I thought it would be OK. No.. not so much..

Ok, let's check what actually needs to be done here then. _Why_ have you bought it and what's it supposed to be used for ideally? Obviously it would be ideal if it worked - flawlessly or bodged - in any device you own but it's probably wise to concentrate on getting it working where it needs to be first.
PC has been moved from my bedroom to my new office at the other end of the house. PowerLAN adaptor was being very unreliable and slow. I have a Wifi repeater directly above in a bedroojm so thought Wifi a better choice than a misbehaving PowerLAN. My router and Internet (VM) is in my bedroom, hence proper network cabling would be a very big job.

You're going to say the machine we've been working on I expect :|
Sorry, yes.

Does it not already have wifi or ethernet? Was this a perceived "upgrade" that has backfired perhaps?
See above, but in short sort of yes to the second question. PowerLAN to the first.
I can't remember if you're one of the rabid anti-Windows ones or not - let's hope not for your sake, because testing it actually works at all first is a good idea. Stick it in a windows instance if you've got one just to make sure, it'll suck if the unit is genuinely faulty.
I don't remember if I ever said but this PC dual boots Windows 7 and Linux Mint, so the first thing I did was try it out in Windows and it works flawlessly. Annoying but true. That exonerates the hardware.. it's even in the same USB port as it was in Windows.
If you're feeling efficient, recycle the all-in-one instructions from the email a while back and run them on the Lenovo - at least there you've got a clean system in respect of this particular mess to test on. Clone the repo and build with DKMS, etc, etc. Check to see if the Lenovo Mint install can autocomplete apt packages while you're there, I still have no idea how your bash-completion isn't working.

This is like being back in time 10 or 20 years ago when random devices need torturous manual steps to coax into life... good times.

I have another Pi on WiFi which does work. I might try inserting that WiFi dongle /only/ to see what dmesg says about it.

Kind regards,

Julian

--
“The great tragedy of Science — the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly
fact.”

― Thomas Henry Huxley