Re: [LUG] Best Video hosting platform

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, Pentiddy wrote:

Hello all,

Like many of us in the current climate I find myself needing to put together some video tutorials for a club I run.
Does anyone have suggestions of the best* platform to host these on please?
I do not want them to be openly available by the public, but they needn't be password protected. A friend doing similar is using the obvious YouTube, but I wondered if anyone has tried Vimeo or if there is some other platform  to do this on?

I use YouTube. Is it the best? I don't know, but I couldn't get Vimeo to work for me when I last tried (admittedly, well over a year or so back)

It's easy to make videos either unlisted or private, but be aware that if you mark them as unlisted and put them in a list then they can be found by searching. (This is intentional, apparently).

Unlisted is anyone can view if they know the URL.

Private means you must invite people to view and these people must have
YouTube accounts as that's what you use when inviting them and the limit is up to 50 per video.

It's all part of the Google evil empire, but it does just work and as long as you don't strive for monetisation, then they mostly stay out of your way.

Gordon

Ps. Make bread/lunch with me https://youtu.be/OwfrJcRdgPY ;-) Hot Crossed buns tomorrow!