Re: [LUG] Skype

On 24/03/2020 08:13, Neil wrote:
On 22/03/2020 11:59, Eion MacDonald wrote:

Skype can do multi-person video chats. I've only done so once before but it did work. I'm not sure whether it needs to start as a 1-to-1 and then
either party adds the additional people.

I've tried to use Jitsi Meet a few times but it never seems to pick up
my webcam.

I'm happy to use pretty much any platform going - indeed I've just
signed up to Houseparty because my sister is now using it - but if
there's a really good, solid, and functional Free Software video chat
tool available, maybe we should be trying to use that in the group?

Grant. :)

I have now installed Skype again and it is working well. Then, after the comments about Zoom I have installed that too. They both seem to be working OK. Although with Zoom I am not yet sure how to test it.

So now what? Is the group going to use either one to sometimes set up a conference? We won't be able to have our normal meetings, will we? Or should we be satisfied with the usual emails?

And can one of the Zoom users suggest how I can check it is set up right please?

Neil

To test Zoom there is a cog item in the top right after you log in, either from setting up an account or logging in with Google or Facebook.

Then you have various options including testing Video and audio where you can select and set microphone and webcam options to make sure all is working and you can see and hear the test sounds and input levels.

Joining a meeting is as simple as clicking on an email link that someone sends, Zoom should automatically open ( by default opens a browser window but with the client installed just click through and that will open and you can join the meeting)

Hope that helps,

Ray