Re: [LUG] Skype

On 21/03/2020 14:15, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Mar 2020, 14:04 Rod Sheaff, <rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:rod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     We increasingly use Zoom at work. It's closed source (or course) but
>     does have a Linux client, indeed did so before MicroSoft re-animated
>     Skype for Linux. In the meetings I've used it for, Zoom seems to have
>     been simpler to use and more reliable than Skype. I think Skype can be
>     used for groups, though I've never tried groups larger than 4-5 people.
>     Zoom has some ridiculously high limit.
>
>     BW
>
>     Rod
>

> Skype can do multi-person video chats. I've only done so once before but
> it did work. I'm not sure whether it needs to start as a 1-to-1 and then
> either party adds the additional people.
>
> I've tried to use Jitsi Meet a few times but it never seems to pick up
> my webcam.
>
> I'm happy to use pretty much any platform going - indeed I've just
> signed up to Houseparty because my sister is now using it - but if
> there's a really good, solid, and functional Free Software video chat
> tool available, maybe we should be trying to use that in the group?
>
> Grant. :)

I am using (!!!!) Google Hangouts as that work with my daughter on her
An droid phone to my Linux box with Chromium installed (easiest to use
in Chromium) but also works in Firefox with Google search  page then
chose Google Hangouts from drop down menu.

As daughter uses Gmail (apart from work email on MS Outlook at her
school), this is a compromise, where I know she and I are being 'tracked'.

Her pupils aged 13-18 do not give a %$£$% toss about Google and other
social media tracking. "So What, its FREE!"
Also school when giving equipment to poorer pupils issues Google Mail
email personal address and Android phone with cheapish laptop to each.
IT does NOT teach privacy , but most common system to get a job, CV PDFs
over gmail.

Ease of use and FREE always wins out over privacy!

--
regards
Eion MacDonald