Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 08/11/2019 16:53, mr meowski wrote:
On 08/11/2019 16:00, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I tend to buy refurbished Dell laptops [since 2006]. Most Latitude
series work with Linux.

I second this - I'm particularly partial to refurbished E7440s from
Ebay. £150-£250 gets you a mSATA SSD, 1080p, quad i7, 16Gb RAM, matte
IPS, vPro, USB3 and a really nice backlit keyboard. More than enough
laptop for anyone who doesn't game or have demanding requirements
(development, etc). Shop carefully and you can pick up a pristine model
just off a corporate refresh cycle with a few months of the original
return to base warranty still left on it. Runs Linux or Windows or
pretty much anything else you might want just fine, there's no exotic
hardware in it.

Refurbished corporate laptops are 100% the way to go for the budget
conscious shoppers I think. If you want to spend more by all means do of
course but any consumer oriented laptop below the pricey ultrabook class
tends to be a flimsy piece of crap (again in my opinion of course).

Thanks for that advice. I have always steered well clear of Ebay so far. For some reason I think their whole set up is a bit dubious. Now I will have a look to see what I can find.

Neil