Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 08/11/2019 16:00, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I tend to buy refurbished Dell laptops [since 2006]. Most Latitude
> series work with Linux.

I second this - I'm particularly partial to refurbished E7440s from
Ebay. £150-£250 gets you a mSATA SSD, 1080p, quad i7, 16Gb RAM, matte
IPS, vPro, USB3 and a really nice backlit keyboard. More than enough
laptop for anyone who doesn't game or have demanding requirements
(development, etc). Shop carefully and you can pick up a pristine model
just off a corporate refresh cycle with a few months of the original
return to base warranty still left on it. Runs Linux or Windows or
pretty much anything else you might want just fine, there's no exotic
hardware in it.

Refurbished corporate laptops are 100% the way to go for the budget
conscious shoppers I think. If you want to spend more by all means do of
course but any consumer oriented laptop below the pricey ultrabook class
tends to be a flimsy piece of crap (again in my opinion of course).

Budget is the single most important factor in buying a new laptop and
unless you're buying something off the bleeding edge don't worry about
general Linux compatibility, pretty much everything works out of the box
now and has done for years.

If you're feeling wealthy enough the two best modern innovations by far
are high DPI screens (4K) and NVME drives - both will make your laptop
experience considerably nicer but they are by no means necessary.

Also don't forget it's Black Friday/Cyber Monday at the end of this
month - amidst all the fake bargains and rip offs there will no doubt be
some good actual bargains to be had.

Cheers