Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 07/11/2019 17:43, mr meowski wrote:

We live in a different IT landscape now and although it initially seems
wasteful this is exactly how things roll in the modern world - at the
first sign of trouble you should be able to just hit a button and have
your state-driven infrastructure tear down the whole lot and
automatically reprovision the entire stack for you. Of course it never
quite works properly but there you go, that's progress.

Perhaps I should explain more clearly what is going on. The laptop is currently running with an old version of Linux Lite. When I powered up, as soon as it was running I just saw a flashing screen. Mouse and keypad ignored.

I have, ready to use, a USB with MX 19 on it ready to install. So I logged on with that and it worked and opened the MX desktop. So the machine would run from a USB. That is how I was able to get to my daughter's personal files and copy them to an external HD.

Then I tried to install MX 19. (There is an icon on the MX desktop screen to start the installation.) That is when the troubles restarted. It more or less ignored the keyboard. For example when trying to set up the locale as the UK, it landed on some weird country and would not move. I tried several times, with no success. At this stage, the screen was not flashing, but I could not use the keyboard or the mouse.

So I gave up and have left it with the local computer shop. I am waiting to hear from him in the next day or two.

Computers!! Wonderful when they are working properly,

Neil