Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, 12:17 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My daughter has just arrived with her laptop. She cannot log in as
normal. When she tries the screen simply starts flashing on and off. At
the moment I am running a memory test.

I can upgrade her to a new distro easily enough and set up her email
again. However there are some photos on the current distro which she
would like to save. No backup of course, and yes I have told her, many
times.

Any suggestions please?

Neil

At what point does it start to flash? Can you/she press ALT+F1 (or F2, etc) to get to a console login? If the flashing is something wrong with X then you may need to do CTRL+ALT+F1 instead.

Grant