Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, 13:04 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/11/2019 12:28, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2019, 12:17 Neil, <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     My daughter has just arrived with her laptop. She cannot log in as
>     normal. When she tries the screen simply starts flashing on and off. At
>     the moment I am running a memory test.
>
>     I can upgrade her to a new distro easily enough and set up her email
>     again. However there are some photos on the current distro which she
>     would like to save. No backup of course, and yes I have told her, many
>     times.
>
>     Any suggestions please?
>
>     Neil
>

> At what point does it start to flash? Can you/she press ALT+F1 (or F2,
> etc) to get to a console login? If the flashing is something wrong with
> X then you may need to do CTRL+ALT+F1 instead.
>
> Grant

As soon as I try to log in. The screen is flashing quickly. I have a USB
with the latest version of MX Linux on it which opens up just fine. So I
could replace the current distro (Linux Lite) with the new one, but that
will lose all the old version. Or perhaps gparted will let me do
something. I do not use gparted very much.

Neil

Forgive me if this comes across as rude, but obliterating the whole system when it seems only 1 thing is broken... seems like a very Windows way of operating.

Since you say it happens as soon as you *try* to login... does the login screen flash, or after you've entered your username and password? Or only start to flash when you start typing?

Did you try getting to the console screen?

Grant.