Re: [LUG] Daughter's computer

On 08/11/2019 11:52, Neil wrote:
> On 07/11/2019 17:43, mr meowski wrote:
>>
>> We live in a different IT landscape now and although it initially seems
>> wasteful this is exactly how things roll in the modern world - at the
>> first sign of trouble you should be able to just hit a button and have
>> your state-driven infrastructure tear down the whole lot and
>> automatically reprovision the entire stack for you. Of course it never
>> quite works properly but there you go, that's progress.
>>
> Perhaps I should explain more clearly what is going on. The laptop is
> currently running with an old version of Linux Lite. When I powered up,
> as soon as it was running I just saw a flashing screen. Mouse and keypad
> ignored.
>
> I have, ready to use, a USB with MX 19 on it ready to install. So I
> logged on with that and it worked and opened the MX desktop. So the
> machine would run from a USB. That is how I was able to get to my
> daughter's personal files and copy them to an external HD.
>
> Then I tried to install MX 19. (There is an icon on the MX desktop
> screen to start the installation.) That is when the troubles restarted.
> It more or less ignored the keyboard. For example when trying to set up
> the locale as the UK, it landed on some weird country and would not
> move. I tried several times, with no success. At this stage, the screen
> was not flashing, but I could not use the keyboard or the mouse.
>
> So I gave up and have left it with the local computer shop. I am waiting
> to hear from him in the next day or two.it
>
> Computers!! Wonderful when they are working properly,
>
> Neil

I find from sorting out many old computers at place I tutor (most 32
bit, [some with SiS graphics a real pain]), that bat best hardware and
working Live Linux to determine if possible to use Linux is Knoppix
distro from a DVD, in case USB  stick does not boot. Also PUPPY linux
live gives choice of keyboard, ethernet/Wifi,
 language, time on first boot screen.

Did you try these, before sending to your good computer shop?

Regards
Eion MacDonald
--
Regards