Re: [LUG] Xfce Distro

On 07/11/18 17:28, Neil wrote:
> On 07/11/2018 15:16, mr meowski wrote:
>> Linux distros are modular, generally speaking you can just install any
>> distribution and then add the XFCE suite afterwards if it's not included
>> as a headline feature. Don't worry about getting the specific XFCE spin
>> of Ubuntu for example ("Xubuntu") or Fedora (umm - "Fedora XFCE"): any
>> distro you fancy will do and it's package manager will no doubt be more
>> than capable of setting you up with whichever DE(s) you might like. XFCE
>> is pretty popular after all.
>

> As usual, the voice of reason and common sense.
>

>> You keep doing the opposite and using weird half-arsed distros that even
>> I've never heard of - 'Linux Lite'? 'MX Linux'? Where are you even
>> finding this stuff? If you were a windows fan I kind of get the feeling
>> you'd be using ReactOS...
>
> I didn't think they were so unknown. They seem to be popular. A Windows
> fan??? You know me better than that. It is coming up soon to twenty years
> since I even looked at Windows.
>

>> Arch, Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora core are your go to distros - they're
>> everyone's really. It's hard to ever go wrong with Debian, the
>> motherlode of all operating systems. Manjaro seems very popular these
>> days and that's basically a friendly version of Arch. SuSE have always
>> been a bit underappreciated but really solid. CentOS or a (free) actual
>> RedHat dev license if you'd like something really conservative and
>> enterprise-y. You have to do Gentoo at least once - if nothing else it
>> will make you appreciate package managers again afterwards. Intel's
>> Clear Linux is by a very long way the most performant Linux available
>> although it's a pretty left-field choice for a desktop.
>
> Arch just scares me! I have never liked Ubuntu. I did have a go with both
> Debian and Fedora as a test to see how I got on. Didn't like them either.
> I did also try Suse many years ago, say 17 or 18 years, so I guess it
> will have changed a bit. I will have a look at Manjaro and Centos.
> Gentoo?? No chance. Never heard of Clear Linux.
>

>> Literally any distro will do, they all have XFCE - you're coming at the
>> problem backwards. You'd probably have to look pretty hard to find a
>> Linux distro that _doesn't_ accommodate XFCE.
>>
>> One word of advice - think forwards, not backwards. That means modern
>> systems. Don't fear the systemd!
>>
>> Cheers
>>
> Thanks for the help,
>
> Neil

I'd steer clear from CentOS personally .. Fedora should be fine though.

I'm gonna have a stab at Manjaro as an alternative to Arch, because, well
because.

OpenSUSE is OK, and if you haven't tried Mint - its a Ubuntu-variant so
you'll know what that's like.

If in doubt, take the plunge and get familiar with Containers/Virtual
Machines - you can try whatever you like from within whatever-you-ve-got
which isn't a bad thing nowadays.

MJE