Re: [LUG] Xfce Distro

On 07/11/2018 20:44, M. J. Everitt wrote:
I'd steer clear from CentOS personally .. Fedora should be fine though.

I'm gonna have a stab at Manjaro as an alternative to Arch, because, well
because.

OpenSUSE is OK, and if you haven't tried Mint - its a Ubuntu-variant so
you'll know what that's like.

If in doubt, take the plunge and get familiar with Containers/Virtual
Machines - you can try whatever you like from within whatever-you-ve-got
which isn't a bad thing nowadays.

MJE

I have had another look around, and I think I have decided, after all the help and ideas. A distro called MX Linux is currently number four in the distrowatch list and has some really good reviews. It is based on Debian (not Ubuntu) which should please Mr Meowski. And the desk top manager is Xfce. The latest version has just come out. And, a final goody, it is based in Europe, not the USA.

My main computer is a desktop, but I also have a laptop which is there as backup. I keep all important files and folders in sync using pCloud. So I plan to install MX onto the laptop and see how it goes. If it is successful, I will move the desktop over too.

MX is very configurable, and I am used to Xfce, so I don't, at the moment, foresee any problems. One difference from the usual is that, during installation, you are asked for two passwords, one for logon and the other to become root. I have never come across that before.

So, I will give it a test and report back,

Neil