Re: [LUG] Xfce Distro

On 07/11/2018 13:20, Neil wrote:
> In the past I have used various distros. For some years now I have used
> Xfce as the desk top manager, and I am very used to it. I did run
> Xubuntu for quite a long time, but recently moved over to Linux Lite. I
> had no problems with the 3 series. Recently it updated to the 4 series,
> which meant a new install, since it does not upgrade across versions.
>
> Now it has upgraded from 4.0 to 4.2 and I am having a lot of trouble
> with it. It just will does not see this new version, either on my desk
> top or my laptop computer. I am getting a bit peeved with it, hence this
> email. (I am getting a few other problems too, eg when I try a normal
> update I get some odd error message.)
>
> So I am asking for any suggestions for a good modern Linux distro which
> offers Xfce as the desk top manager. One recommendation I have already
> had was for MX Linux.
>
> If anyone has any helpful ideas, I would be grateful,

Linux distros are modular, generally speaking you can just install any
distribution and then add the XFCE suite afterwards if it's not included
as a headline feature. Don't worry about getting the specific XFCE spin
of Ubuntu for example ("Xubuntu") or Fedora (umm - "Fedora XFCE"): any
distro you fancy will do and it's package manager will no doubt be more
than capable of setting you up with whichever DE(s) you might like. XFCE
is pretty popular after all.

You keep doing the opposite and using weird half-arsed distros that even
I've never heard of - 'Linux Lite'? 'MX Linux'? Where are you even
finding this stuff? If you were a windows fan I kind of get the feeling
you'd be using ReactOS...

Arch, Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora core are your go to distros - they're
everyone's really. It's hard to ever go wrong with Debian, the
motherlode of all operating systems. Manjaro seems very popular these
days and that's basically a friendly version of Arch. SuSE have always
been a bit underappreciated but really solid. CentOS or a (free) actual
RedHat dev license if you'd like something really conservative and
enterprise-y. You have to do Gentoo at least once - if nothing else it
will make you appreciate package managers again afterwards. Intel's
Clear Linux is by a very long way the most performant Linux available
although it's a pretty left-field choice for a desktop.

Literally any distro will do, they all have XFCE - you're coming at the
problem backwards. You'd probably have to look pretty hard to find a
Linux distro that _doesn't_ accommodate XFCE.

One word of advice - think forwards, not backwards. That means modern
systems. Don't fear the systemd!

Cheers