Re: [LUG] Xfce Distro

On 07/11/2018 15:16, mr meowski wrote:
Linux distros are modular, generally speaking you can just install any
distribution and then add the XFCE suite afterwards if it's not included
as a headline feature. Don't worry about getting the specific XFCE spin
of Ubuntu for example ("Xubuntu") or Fedora (umm - "Fedora XFCE"): any
distro you fancy will do and it's package manager will no doubt be more
than capable of setting you up with whichever DE(s) you might like. XFCE
is pretty popular after all.

As usual, the voice of reason and common sense.

You keep doing the opposite and using weird half-arsed distros that even
I've never heard of - 'Linux Lite'? 'MX Linux'? Where are you even
finding this stuff? If you were a windows fan I kind of get the feeling
you'd be using ReactOS...

I didn't think they were so unknown. They seem to be popular. A Windows fan??? You know me better than that. It is coming up soon to twenty years since I even looked at Windows.

Arch, Debian, Ubuntu and Fedora core are your go to distros - they're
everyone's really. It's hard to ever go wrong with Debian, the
motherlode of all operating systems. Manjaro seems very popular these
days and that's basically a friendly version of Arch. SuSE have always
been a bit underappreciated but really solid. CentOS or a (free) actual
RedHat dev license if you'd like something really conservative and
enterprise-y. You have to do Gentoo at least once - if nothing else it
will make you appreciate package managers again afterwards. Intel's
Clear Linux is by a very long way the most performant Linux available
although it's a pretty left-field choice for a desktop.

Arch just scares me! I have never liked Ubuntu. I did have a go with both Debian and Fedora as a test to see how I got on. Didn't like them either. I did also try Suse many years ago, say 17 or 18 years, so I guess it will have changed a bit. I will have a look at Manjaro and Centos. Gentoo?? No chance. Never heard of Clear Linux.

Literally any distro will do, they all have XFCE - you're coming at the
problem backwards. You'd probably have to look pretty hard to find a
Linux distro that _doesn't_ accommodate XFCE.

One word of advice - think forwards, not backwards. That means modern
systems. Don't fear the systemd!

Cheers

Thanks for the help,

Neil