Re: [LUG] Laptop problem

On Wed, 6 Dec 2017 08:31:21 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/12/17 22:42, Julian Hall wrote:
> >>

> > Hi Neil,
> >
> > I think on your system eth0 is mapped to wlp4s0. My reason for that
> > is simply that it also mentions Mask:255.255.255.0 as mine does.
> > Not being familiar with your system I don't know for certain but as
> > it is a laptop I would guess p3p1 is the WiFi connection? That is
> > just a guess as I am not an expert. If I /am/ right, and if Wifi is
> > disabled that would explain it having no packets sent or received.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > Julian
> >
> Yes, it does look like it. But wifi is not disabled. This is a laptop
> which is close to the router but not connected to it by cable. All
> our laptops use our wifi.
>
> Neil

Hi Neil,

You need to log into your router, locate all the attached devices,
write down their internal IP addresses, ping them and if the pings
are successful, make sure that the firewall is allowing you to talk
freely within your intranet on the ssh ports that you are using (look
in the firewall logs for information about this). The default
configuration of your router will almost certainly be to block incoming
connections, and it may even be locked down tighter than that: if Wifi
is enabled, in theory, any old bod in a car on your drive could hack
into your intranet and then wander around your network at will.
I'm stuck infront of the computer for the next half-hour.  If you would
like to run through some ideas, I'd be happy to do so, but it
would probably be best to do it off list: one, it's unwise to put your
setup details (and their weak points) into the public domain(!) and
two, I'm not sure what the policies are on this list, but it feels like
a moderator may have something to say before very long.  Please feel
free to email me directly and because I'm a
complete stranger, the smart money would be on including a trusted
comrade in the dialogue so you have someone to guard your back and take
over  in half an hour.

Best wishes

fraser