Re: [LUG] Laptop problem

On 05/12/17 08:51, Neil wrote:
> On 04/12/17 19:27, mr meowski wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I will see what I can find out. There is a
> problem though. I have tried to SSH from my desktop to my laptop, just
> to see how it works. So far I have failed, it does not see the laptop.
> So I may not be able to SSH over to my wife's laptop. I suppose I could
> try team viewer.

I can never remember what weird distro you happen to be using at any
given time but aren't using some random Debian derivative at the moment?
Is it "Linux Lite"? Which I think is technically Ubuntu. So with that in
mind...

On the laptop:

sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install openssh-* -y
sudo systemctl enable sshd
sudo systemctl start sshd
sudo systemctl status sshd
ssh localhost
<confirm that you can access the laptop locally here via SSH>
ip addr show [remember the laptop's IP address here]

On the desktop:

ssh USER@xxxxxxx

Replace USER with whatever username you were using on the laptop and the
1.2.3.4 with the laptop's IP address from above, e.g.; ssh neil@xxxxxxxxxxx

As you're using your working laptop for the test, if it doesn't let you
in or respond it's a software issue rather than a problem with the
computer in this case. By far the most likely reason for that happening
is a firewall blocking TCP:22 on the desktop but we'll deal with that if
it happens.

Cheers