[LUG] Laptop problem

My wife's laptop is still playing up. Today I had to reset it to get it working. It does not exactly lock up, it just does not respond to the mouse or the keyboard. When I reset it, it works OK for a while and then starts playing up again.

I am wondering if the HD is on the way out. Can anyone tell me what signs to look out for please? Or are there some tests I can run? The computer is nearly five years old, and it is used a lot. I am wondering if, should there be a problem with the HD, it would be more sensible to replace the HD, perhaps with a SSD, or to go for it and get a new computer.

Any suggestions please?

Neil